New to Teaching workshop
17 – 18 December, Lucas House, University of Birmingham Conference Park.
This event is for academic staff who are in the first few years of teaching and who would like to develop their teaching skills in the context of their own discipline. It is designed to complement university-run courses offered to all new academic staff. This is a practical, activity-based workshop which will provide delegates with the opportunity to share ideas and experiences with GEES colleagues from across the UK. The programme is likely to include (although we will respond to specific requests):
• Student engagement and participation
• How students learn in our disciplines, the transitions they experience, and approaches to teaching and supporting learning
• Assessment and feedback
• Avoiding disasters! – some coping strategies
• Discipline-specific use of technologies
• Invited professional body speakers
• Reusing resources, OERs, and flexible learning
• Evaluating your practice, and its impacts on the student learning experience
This is a free two day event. Refreshments, evening meal and lunches on both days will be provided. Delegates can apply to the HEA Travel Fund for support with travel and overnight accommodation costs; please note applications must be made at least one month in advance. B&B accommodation is available at the venue.
If you wish to express interest in attending the following New to Teaching workshop on 13-14 May in Scotland please email Helen Walkington.